Thursday, February 14, 2008

Frenzy 5 - Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon

Winner: Thad McCullough

Well, Holy Freakin' Full-Moon Lupinosity! I was hoping for some interesting submissions on this one, but Thad weighs in with an honest-to-god actual Irish family curse and reveals that not only does he know the song referenced in the photo, but that he actually IS a WEREWOLF!! How the hell can anyone top that? Well....they can't. Thad earns a snocone, and maybe a double cone with some extra blood red squirts, or....hell, anything he wants. I'm not gonna mess with a fucking werewolf! All of a sudden his legendary halloween costumes come into much sharper focus...

If you haven't read Thad's story, check the comments on the last post for the gory details.

As for the photo, Lee Ho Fook's is indeed mentioned in Warren Zevon's novelty hit, Werewolves of London. I stumbled by the restaurant last month during a brief visit to London, and it took me a few minutes to snap to what i was seeing - I knew I knew it, but I didn't know I knew it like I really knew it, if you'll pardon my unfortunate channeling of Don Rumsfeld there for a minute.

Once I understood what I was looking at, I immediately entered intent on securing a plate of Beef Chow Mein, as per the song. Unfortunately, the reviews you might find on the web regarding the restaurant are apparently accurate: the service was abysmal; the restaurant was less than half full around 8pm, and I was told, after waiting about 5 minutes for someone to greet me, that there were no tables available and I would have to wait a half hour. Uhhh.....ok. No thanks. I'll go elsewhere. Bummer.

So, no photos to share of beef chow mein or the like. But, I have found a link on the web to a Warren Zevon concert originally taped for the King Biscuit Flower Hour in Philadelphia way back in 1980. For those of you who don't know the song (and especially those of you in London that have no idea who Warren Zevon is), and maybe even more for those of you who do know the man and his work, check out the concert at the following link - amazing show with a great band and an artist at the top of his form. As you'll discover, "Werewolves" is one of the lesser tunes in his catalog - many of the versions from his Excitable Boy album are just smokin' hot.

To steal AC/DC's thunder: For those about to rock, we salute you!

Warren Zevon Live in Philly

Note: You may have to create an account at Wolfgang's Vault to listen to the show. Do it - it's free, and you'll get access to thousands of live shows of artists in numerous genres from the last half century. Great way to explore humanity's sonic past. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: